Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sun Stands Still

I think I share my Swedish ancestors' anxiety today that the sun won't come 'round this time unless I appease some capricious god with a sacrifice. Science has its comforts, but I may have to sit up well past 11:38 tonight just to be sure Earth stayed in orbit and her axis will be tilting in our favor this time around. You can thank me later for making sure all is well in the world.  Nah, but that moment--Solstice really is just a moment, less than a moment even--is something to consider. It's all there is, all there ever is, and the universe seems to march on like clockwork.

We think we're smarter than those heathen ancestors of ours, but I wouldn't count on it. Same anxiety, new face. I've been out of touch with the news lately, figuring it's either all bad or all manufactured or both. It feels like we're heading into a long night, though, doesn't it? Life cycles through days, nights, seasons, birth, death whether we pay attention to it or not. Cultures come and go and it feels like ours is ripe for cataclysmic change. So here I am, no better off than my great, great, great, great grandmother hoping for a return of the sun.

My plan for the past week or so was to play Tori Amos' "Winter's Carol" for Solstice. It's a pretty tune, and I like it, but not this morning. Something light and simple, like the warmth of the sun, to shine on my face. I know life's rarely that uncomplicated, but sometimes we just have to let it be. Stay warm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy4_uoFc0Xw

No comments:

Post a Comment