Wednesday, December 8, 2010

From a Heathen and a Pagan

This is it. This is the best clip I think I'll find, and I'd be well advised to simply post the lyrics and let the song do its own talking. God, it's beautiful. But what kind of blogger would I be if I did that? There are covers of this song out there by The Chieftans and the McGarrigles, all good. The hero Jesus of my childhood was champion of the poor, illuminator of hypocrisy, simple truth teller. Sometimes the obvious truth is not politically expedient.

I could interpret it as synchronicity that in the catalog of Buddhist books that came with the latest arrival I found the next book on my reading list:  rebel buddha: on the road to freedom. The synopsis states I'll learn how to connect with my inner rebel--the part of me that instinctively seeks out the truth, regardless of the falsehood that's all around. Sounds good, right?  But that's the Jesus (and Buddha) I'm talking about--archetypes of human possibility for enlightenment, for truth. George Orwell writes, "Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." If you've ever bit your tongue because you were afraid you might "get the same as the Rebel Jesus," this one's for you (and me) to take heart.

Christmas is full of irony and paradox. I've considered posting a version of John Lennon's "Happy Xmas (war is over)" full of actual images of war's devastation and the worst of human suffering (caught on tape for your viewing pleasure).  It makes one stop to think, at least, how we get on with our petty worries in light of it. Our petty worries are also the stuff war is made of, I guess, on small scale. It's difficult enough just to fathom our capacity for violence let alone change it. What is possible here? Awareness of who we are, of our reactive nature, and our capacity for doing harm, are essential, but also feeling free and happy, at least having our basic needs met.

          But please forgive me if I seem
          To take a tone of judgement
          For I've no wish to come between
          This day and your enjoyment.
          In a life of hardship and of earthly toil
          There's a need for anything that frees us.
          So I bid you pleasure and I bid you cheer
          From a heathen and a pagan
          On the side of the Rebel Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEC7d5jbAbo

No comments:

Post a Comment