Friday, December 24, 2010

Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon...

Couldn't let the season pass us by without a contribution from Bob Dylan. He's got other Christmas favorites out there in YouTubelandia, but this is the one that inspired this string of holiday tunes and blog opinionating. My kids used to get so excited about Santa coming, and this year now that the cat's out of the bag (it's been out awhile), they say it just doesn't feel like Christmas SHOULD feel--which means not as exciting, I gather. They do enjoy the time to slow down and be with family, as do I. But why should you hear it second hand from me? Today's guest writer is the clever K--my oldest daughter, Kayla Madsen. She's been a writer and editor for her school newspaper and published several editions of the Madsen Gazette for our reading pleasure. I'd like to add a disclaimer than any characters vaguely resembling myself are purely fictional. Just kidding. Here's the K:




Christmas is different at our house. We don't read the Christmas story or put on the nativity (we go to grandmas on Christmas Eve for that). We don't really do a Christmas dinner either, instead, we have christmas Brunch with all my grandparents, hosted by my mom. This year we decided to do crepes, yum. 
I think Christmas is the only holiday we really decorate the house for. My mom used to collect theses santa figurines, so now we have them all over the living room along with our two Christmas trees and garland covered banisters. We never get this fancy during Halloween, or Easter. We're usually not really home around those times anyways so, why bother?
Anyways, Christmas may be a little different at our house but that's our tradition and we're sticking to it!


Oh yeah, I gotta get on those crepes--vegan with cashew cream and sweet blueberry sauce. So there you have it, we make our own traditions in a way that is relevant to us. My kids enjoy presenting the nativity, so we're lucky to have Grandma and Grandpa to fulfill that need. We'll do Solstice dinners and Christmas brunch buffets. I'll put out the old Santa collection that I gave up when collecting the jolly figures lost its allure. Tradition for tradition's sake? Eh, I'll pass. I'll opt for a living tradition that grows and adapts to our times and conditions.  It's OK to outgrow Santa.


Have a happy Christmas Eve full of living tradition with people you love!






http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qE6WQmNus

No comments:

Post a Comment