Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Axial Tilt...

...is the reason for the season.


What? Not inspiring enough for you? Really, it is miraculous that this blue orb wobbles and rotates its way around a star, carrying billions of sentient, conscious beings with it. We wee sentient beings experience the cold, dark of winter; trees sink deep into their core for the duration, and on December 21st at 11:38 PM that all changes. Days ever so slowly get longer, brighter, making way for spring. What's not to celebrate? 

On the drive home from work in these shortest of days the sun sets almost due South. My eyes are drawn to that, and also to the trees that line the freeway (fewer and fewer of them on account of current freeway construction). I've always had a thing for trees. Their quiet stills me, awes me, rocks my world. Last night while buzzing around the internet on a Solstice search, I read about old tree worshiping lore from Scandanavia.  I'd have made a good tree worshiper, designating a guardian tree in the yard, rolling around at its base for fertility--not now of course. I have no desire to be fecund at this point in my life and with current world populations exceeding natural limits. But, a guardian tree? Yes, indeed. Mark my words if I don't just plant one this spring.  This morning, I'll find myself in vrksasana (tree pose) and dream a little dream of the Oak King's return.  

In the meantime, here's a little Jethro Tull to delight your ears. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment