Wednesday, December 22, 2010

From Pine to Oak

Looks like Solstice went off without a hitch. At 4:38 Utah time, the exact moment we rounded the bend, I was moving a coffee table with Chris, careful not to break the leg off as so often happens if you try to move this coffee table by yourself. Are we ready for another trip around the sun? I enjoyed the evening last night with my sister, her husband and kids, Chris' sister and good friend Brian. The guests were kind enough to eat tofu (hey, I liked it) and spend a couple of hours with me and my family, talking and laughing. The girls had a good time, though they might not admit it. Brian went home and came back with his new pet, a rainbow boa.  Mira and Brynn overcame their archetypal fear of slithering things and by the end of the evening were asking when and where they could get one. Brian said if this snake ever has babies...

So I guess it was strange, too, but that's what I like about throwing these kinds of parties. I plan and prepare, but it's always the unexpected that makes them memorable. The alchemy of who's invited, who shows up, what's on their minds, can make or break an event. Last night was a good mix. Thanks, guys, for being there.

Only three more posts to go in this holiday blog spree. It's been a challenge to write daily and given me some insight into both writing and myself. If I continue after this weekend it will be with clearer intention. I can hastily click something off in a reactive, heat-of-the-moment strong emotion, but that's a little self-indulgence the world may be better off without. I want to be careful with my words because I'm seeing that once I throw them out there into the pool I have no control over the ripples. I'm worried careful will mean boring. We'll see. I see little value, though, if I'm adding to the confusion and suffering in the world. There's enough of that.


I'll play the Tori Amos today. I've listened to it a little too much, but it might sound new and fresh to you. The idea of moving from pine to oak, rebirth, clean slate, ahhh, do we ever tire of that? There's hope for you, wrapped in ribbons of gold for the whole world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdOQJAryIsc


Chris, Denise, B.R., LeAnn, Brian
Mira, Heather, Brynn, Kayla
Life

No comments:

Post a Comment