Friday, December 10, 2010

Let us Pray

Capow! Quote of the day from this month's Catalyst: "I no longer believe myself capable of fundamental change. If I could have overcome my grumpiness, my self absorption, my untidiness, or my tendency to talk too much--to name just a few of my more minor faults--I would have done so by now. At this point I'm more interested in consciousness than perfection." 


The author was beginning a regular column in which she will explore the young Ben Franklin's 13 virtues and the 7 deadly sins. She's taking an awareness approach rather than a self-improvement one. Apparently Franklin also learned later in life that he had been unaware just how many flaws he had. I have to say that this is what makes consciousness a hard sell. Who wants to wake up to discover that what they are is HUMAN and not too likely to fundamentally change? On the other hand, what choice is there? I had just such a chance to pay attention to my own reactive mind last night. Functioning on only a few hours of sleep and having spent the day surrounded by cute but loud 8-year-olds, a family issue came up. I will spare you the details, but confess to reacting with defensiveness and anger rather than acting. Which means I didn't really pay attention to what was happening until after the fact when I was left with the emotional detritus. And so it goes. Graduating from the self-help aisle to the Zen section of Barnes and Noble is natural, I think, but letting go of the idea that I could become a perfect being is taking some time. 


2nd Quote of the Day: "To sweat is to pray, to make an offering of your self. Sweat is holy water, prayer beads, pearls of liquid that release your past. Sweat is an ancient and universal form of self-healing, whether done in the gym, sauna, or sweat lodge. I do it on the dance floor. The more you dance, the more you sweat. The more you sweat, the more you pray. The more you pray, the closer you come to ecstasy." - Gabrielle Roth. This was posted on a fellow yogi from my White Lotus teacher training's Facebook status. Sweat is my holy water and I've had far to little of it this week. I returned to yoga classes but had to work on regaining ground I'd lost in my healing hiatus. I had to modify anything that involved my hands. Today is a full two weeks following the impaling and my hand is much better--only a very faint tenderness now. Let us sweat. Amen!


 It's Friday, and all I want to know is where's the snow? Enjoy the tunage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=299jCVPX4lM

1 comment:

  1. My favorite line in this Blog was of course... AND SO IT GOES...

    If you don't know the words...I hope you will take the time to know them, and recall them often.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHO6a2H-pqY&feature=related

    ReplyDelete