Monday, December 27, 2010

Listening

Sheesh! After 30 days of non-stop talking, it felt relieving to take yesterday off to listen, and there were some mighty fine things to listen to. The day began late with Sunday Yoga at Yoga Sun. Six yogis--seven if I count--a new playlist that Chris put together as part of my Christmas gift, and some very nice asanas. I indulged by joining in with the Sun Salutations. After Saturday's eating extravaganza, the movement was vital. The sound of my ujayyi breath combined with the other yogis was music to my ears. An extra long savasana accompanied by FC Kahuna made me happy to be there. As uncomplicated as the lyrics are, the element of irony, apparent in the video clip, only makes it that much better.

The day was quiet. I picked up my kids from their annual cousin sleepover, heard their giggles and stories about cats, movies they were making and movies they watched. The background soundtrack was some leftover Christmas music at the grocery stores I entered on a quest for tempeh. I had a craving for some buffalo tempeh--a spicy vegan version of hot wings. However, none of the traditional grocery stores carried this and my usual health food haunts were closed for Sunday. I'd have to settle for some guacamole and a smoked tofu sandwich.

The sound of rain punctuated the afternoon and I figured my good friend's already-once-postponed Solstice bonfire would be cancelled. However, the event was to continue indoors or out, and I was pleasantly greeted by no rain, a popping hot fire to warm my cheeks and fingers, and some wassail with brandy for the inside. This was the loveliest listen of the day, another event where the alchemy of who showed up created the magic. I could have listened all night to Sue's and Sonny's tales of beekeeping and their posh chicken hotel complete with a Barry White crooning rooster and henhouse chandeliers. Often in these settings I get all worked up about what I can say, but I let that go and sort of melted into the talk. I came home to a good night's sleep.

Turning my thoughts to a new year--and knowing nothing really changes on New Year's Day--I look forward to listening more in yoga, meditation, my classroom, nature, garden, and the company of others with an openness to what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment