Sunday, November 28, 2010

Some Children See Him

I've always loved this one. Am I wrong in thinking it's tucked away inside "The Walton's Christmas Special" I last watched all those years ago? Maybe, but I remember hearing it on some such program and was moved. I also really love the Wainwrights who come together to create a little Christmas magic for us.

I do think about Jesus at Christmas time. The ideal projections he stands for still resonate: peace, non-judgement, compassion, maybe even sacrifice, though that's a charged word. I get a little confused when he's used to justify some of the wars we've gotten ourselves into or when folks invoke his name while seeking political power. That's not the same Jesus.

                                       O lay aside
                                        Each earthly thing
                                       And with thy heart
                                        As offering,
                                       Come worship now
                                        The infant king
                                       'Tis love
                                       That's born tonight.

In short, this season brings to mind our hope for peace and love. This song urges us to consider what is human and essential beneath all superficial differences.  I can't be cynical about that, though I recognize the flip side of being human is also to project our fears and anxieties onto others, demonizing them. There must be some way out of here (said the joker to the thief), some way to evolve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1lPek1zY2M

No comments:

Post a Comment