Monday, January 17, 2011

The Lighter Side of Free Will Skepticism

I thought I was through with this topic, but apparently it's not through with me. I found a chapter from Tamler Sommers' doctorate dissertation online and felt pleasantly surprised to discover that his thoughts on attributing robust moral responsibility to no one are not foreign to a natural way of thinking I've had since childhood. It links to compassion in a direct way. We are who we are not solely based on our choices. Genetics, environment, luck all play a part. However, this does not wipe out the fact of internal influences as well. This appears to be compatible with my interest in Buddhist or yogic meditation as a practice to enhance one's ability to see more clearly and happily accept what is. The last line of this chapter is the kicker, "Above all, free will skeptics should never lose their sense of humor."

No comments:

Post a Comment