Monday, May 23, 2011

Fire and Ice




Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost

I'll confess I had my share of jesting over the most recent apocalypse non-event, but not even nearly full-hearted jesting.  My Facebook nod in the doomsdayers' direction merely stated that it was a beautiful day in which to be left behind--and I meant it. After a week of rain and drizzle the sun made an appearance, even if the Son didn't.

I spent the morning of the last day that wasn't teaching a yoga class then ventured to my hometown to work a large garden plot with two of my sisters. My grandpa has gardened all his life yielding enormous bounties of tomatoes, corn, potatoes, turnips--all good things. This year he has offered up a section of land and access to his city water shares. My sisters and I decided to put all our agrarian local cooperative talk to the test. The soil was heavy from the recent rain, but with my brother-in-law at the helm of a rototiller we worked it into decent shape and planted  several long rows of potatoes and corn. We'll get beans, tomatoes, squash and greens in later this week. It was a lovely day. I had no desire to be lifted up from the earth, not when I could smell fresh loam under my fingernails and casually chat about what's wrong with the world with two people who share a similar perspective on account of our common upbringing.

Saturday evening, 7 PM MST, 6 PM PST, my daughter played multiple roles in a Hamlet parody. She stole the show with her Granny Polonius. I looked around to see if anyone was going to be lifted up but the only levitating was that of was human laughter, and isn't that just as it should be?

Don't get me wrong. I understand doomsdayers on a certain level. Something begins; something ends. That much seems to be true of just about everything. Whether the sun goes supernova or we humans consume ourselves out of house and home, banking on the end of the world as we know it is a safe bet.  I felt this personally on a field trip with my 2nd graders to a local museum. Standing in the paleontology room inspecting the length of a full-scope historical timeline I took in the reality of the blip human existence is in the big scheme of things. I can smile wryly with Billy Collins when I read:
It doesn't take much to remind me
what a mayfly I am,
what a soap bubble floating over the children's party.

Standing under the bones of a dinosaur
in a museum does the trick every time 
And still, there I was on Saturday, cutting seed potatoes into plantable segments as though there were plenty of tomorrows in which to enjoy a harvest.


2 comments:

  1. Making fun of the apocalyptic folks is the healthiest thing we could do. Stupidity and Evil need negative feedback.
    Some Buddhists are saying, "Smile, be nice."
    Yeah, right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And "Ignore them, they'll go away," hasn't worked yet either. Ah, well : )

    ReplyDelete