Monday, May 30, 2011

Do It Again

I got myself into a bit of a '70s music funkadelia this weekend. My friend's yoga studio is closing down, which led me to consider a new iPod playlist that conveyed my sense of appreciation, sadness, and acknowledgement of impermanence to accompany my last session at Yoga Sun. Seems going retro fit the bill and my list looked a little like this:

Cat Stevens -- Moonshadow
Three Dog Night -- Shambala
ELO -- Strange Magic
REO Speedwagon -- Roll With the Changes
Supertramp -- Give a Little Bit
Styx -- The Grand Illusion
Boston -- Peace of Mind
Yes -- I've Seen All Good People
Echo & the Bunnyman cover of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
Nancy Sinatra cover of Like a Rolling Stone
Fleetwood Mac  -- Songbird
Elton John -- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Supertramp -- Even in the Quietest Moments
Kansas -- Dust in the Wind

The inclusion of Kansas was admittedly maudlin, but I had a moment where I realized this may be the very song that planted the seed for my current interest in Zen Buddhism. I remember, or have constructed a memory from many bits and pieces, sitting in the car as a young lass in the '70s becoming absorbed in the lyrics, "nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky," and wondering if even the earth and sky last forever. It felt so deep, true, and sufficiently melancholy to me then. Even today it's a nostalgic wake-up call.

Five yogis including myself showed up for this final Sunday practice. Instead of a regular class we placed our mats in a circle, facing each other, and each moved through our own sequence, united by sweet ujjayi breathing. At a point, we all seemed to make our way to the floor and Russ introduced some acro-yoga partner poses.  I noticed in myself that I have an easier time trusting my supporting partner when it is my time to fly. I doubt myself when it comes to supporting others in flight. Curious. A worthy point for self inquiry. Fortunately this did not translate into me dropping anyone, but as a human being and a teacher I would like to know if this is an area where I can change.

A tune that did not make it into the yoga list, but which captivated my attention for multiple playings is Steely Dan's Do It Again. Don't we all know the experience of doing again something we don't wanna? I'm sure I'm not the only human being with habits. The more time I spend in meditation the more I'm aware of these tracks of thought and action that play themselves out over and over again. To some degree I can step back and see these from a new perspective. I have the idea to explore during this upcoming summer break from teaching school whether I can free myself from a few of these balls and chains--give myself a little wiggle room, so to speak. I'm going public with probably the easiest, most tangible habit and I'll share with this blog the ins and outs of once again weaning myself from a pernicious addiction to sugar. I've been free before, but working in an elementary school and allowing myself to fall into over-activity has brought on a slow erosion of my resolve. Sugar is my crack. I know it does me no good. It doesn't even give me the pleasure reward it used to, but if I take a little, I'm mindlessly reaching for more. So back to square one. I've signed up to see if Spoonful of Sugar Free's 30-days of tips and camaraderie will support me in the attempt. Maybe you find yourself in the same sweet snare. Join in, if joining's your thing. Let me know how it goes for you. Mutual support could be a good thing--maybe I'll figure out how to be the acro-yoga base afterall.

The challenge begins Wednesday, June 1st, which means I'll probably order pancakes with syrup for brunch this morning. What can I say--knowing I'm intending to give it all up only makes me want it more now. Maybe I'll make another choice. Let's see.

2 comments:

  1. I use to be a rapid vegetarian. Now I am a carnivore.
    What we will share in common is that I am a no-sugar carnivore -- heck, no grain carnivore.

    So then I need oil, fat and protein for energy.

    The problem with going off sugar for a vegetarian is that you will probably increase your complex carbs to substitute instead of increasing your fat or your protein (even if plant-derived).

    I think, the trick is to teach you body to grab calories from protein and fat and make your cells really efficient at sucking up carbs from your very-low carb low-glycemic-index veggies.

    Sorry, had to do some shop talk.
    Do you do eggs, fish or other non-mammals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sabio, I appreciate this, knowing your medical background. This is just the kind of shop talk I need to hear--some science that can help me figure out how to do this well. You're right about increasing the complex carbs, and I've felt some ill effects there, too. I've tried veganism, even raw veganism, but end up not getting the balance right. So for now I occasionally eat eggs that come from non-agribusiness sources. As for plant-based protein, I eat nuts and nut butters but sometimes experience problems digesting these. I should eat more beans than I do. I eat soy, either tofu or tempeh, once or twice a week.
    No fish, though I did order a small piece of salmon a few weeks ago.

    If you don't mind my asking, what prompted your switch from vegetariansim to eating meat? What physical transitions, if any, did you experience? I have experienced very good health for the last five years as a vegetarian, and only recently have had trouble sliding into a carb abyss. I'm not morally opposed to the idea of eating grass-fed happy cows or humanely raised chickens, but I don't have the taste for it anymore and can't see the point.

    I will give your suggestions a try--more plant-based protein or eggs, more fats (olive oil, coconut oil, avocado), and lots of low-glycemic veggies. Any advice on fruit? I was counting on bananas to see me through any sugary cravings ;)

    ReplyDelete