Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hope is the slimy thing with gills that emerged from the mud...

I teach 2nd grade. I've told y'all that before, right? Here's a sample of writing that tickles both my funny bone and my fancy that there's hope for we human beings yet. The assignment was to write about the vocabulary word INCREASE. I wish you could see the elaborate drawings that go along with this piece. It includes a plethora of detailed dinosaurs, a giraffe, then a series of drawings that begin as asmall dot that grows into a larger dot, then several versions of amoebic looking things that in turn look like fish then fish with legs. This lad has an encyclopedic memory for all things dinosaur and animal. I will leave his sentence structure (or lack thereof) as written and simply allow you to enjoy the delightful thought process of this scientific thinker who has an awe for life:

Increase
means to grow grow grow

Life begian so small as small as planckton that small and then to land and got bigger and bigger! and bigger very big. The goraif is the tallest thig on erth so small to so big. 

You gotta love that exclamation point mid-sentence. Each day before he goes home he poses questions to me like, "Who would win, a lion or a tiger?" "Did you know the tiger descended from the saber tooth cat? Most people call it a saber tooth tiger but it's really a saber tooth cat." "I wonder how life began in the first place."

You keep on wondering, kid, and asking questions.

2 comments:

  1. I was looking for the like button but then I realized this isn't facebook. But I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks--not too much depth to this one, but a nice moment worth capturing. Could use some polishing, but THAT moment's passed. Yeah, the like button--I've had that reflex before reading email. Funny!

    ReplyDelete